ORTEC Operational Research custom developments
Custom development arises when no ICT applications are available to support your requirements, or when they do not apply or are unsatisfactory to your business. Custom development could mean that specialized modules are added to your existing applications like an Enterprise resource planning system. For example adding advanced demand forecasting functionality. Also custom development could mean the development of a complete advanced planning suite that becomes the planning backbone driving your business. Like the planning and scheduling of a chemical plant, refinery or airline. Thru custom developed of advanced planning systems you can improve your business more than using the available standard software, moreover you can gain a competitive edge over your competitors because you can make better use of your opportunities.
To be able to support you we have a standardized approach when building custom made advanced planning systems. We have our own standards with respect to system development, if required we follow the standards your company uses or likes to use, like PRINCE2, SDM2, etc. Our standard approach to the development of advanced planning solutions consists of the following steps:
- Setting the scope. The objectives and scope of the module or application is discussed and agreed upon. Based on these objectives a details plan is developed to design, build and release the advanced planning solution.
- Requirements development. Using various techniques from the field of application development the functional requirements of the solution are identified and worked out in detail. During the requirements development also the User interface requirements are identified using a prototyping approach.
- Architecture and detailed design. The functional design is used to design the system architecture. Each of the functional requirements is worked out into technical requirements and data structures leading to a detailed technical design.
- Build, Test, integrate and release of the advanced planning system. The application is build and tested. After being tested thoroughly it is released. The integration with your other ICT systems is an important issue, since in most cases the advanced planning solution is depended on the data from your other systems.
- Maintenance and Support. After release the application is maintained and supported by either your own organisation or us. The level and performance of the required support is specified in a service level agreement.
ORTEC has performed numerous custom development projects successfully since 1981. They range from highly strategic to real time advanced planning systems. See our cases for some examples of the projects we have performed. Not all projects run thru all of the above phases. Based on partnership, your company and ORTEC decide together which approach is best.
Custom development projects